Erroneous Goodwin teachings
back to the
It will be by obedience that revival will break out, on January 3, 1988, the assembly, as a unit, held up their right hands and swore before God, saying: "With the work of Brother William Sowders divided, scattered, and lying under reproach, and we ourselves in great distress -- because our fathers and we ourselves have sinned -- because of all this, we do, at this time, make a sure covenant. "We do covenant with one another this day that we will be the Lord's people in:
1. "Giving our tithes and offerings! We will steal from God no more! 'The tenth shall be holy unto the Lord! 'So help me God!
2. "In daily prayer and Bible reading! We will not forget God days without number any more! 'My delight shall be in the law of the Lord; and in his law will I meditate day and night! ' So help me God!
3. "In faithfully attending church services! We will not fail to fellowship one another in the house of God! 'Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is! 'So help me God!
4. "In listening to no gossip! We will stop all tattlers! 'Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things! 'So help me God! (This way, not even the elders would listen to legitimate complaints, especially about him.)
5. "In repeating no gossip! We will surely speak evil of no man! 'Thou shalt not go up and down in the land as a talebearer among the people, nor be one who sows discord among brethren!' So help me God! (Or repeat anything.)
6. "In that we will not any more be evil surmising! The wicked imaginations of our heart - we will stop! 'For from Out of the heart proceed evil thoughts - and evil surmisings are the fruit of corrupt minds of men destitute of the truth!' So help me God! (We couldn’t even "think" about a legitimate complaints without fear of judgement!)
7. "In eliminating all debt. Since indebtedness burdens the heart and places man in servitude to others rather than Christ! Owe no man anything'- is the command of God's apostle! So help me God! (So we could give more to him!)
8. "In serving wherever we are needed. Since good works, and Christian acts and duties are an articulate sign of election! 'Put them in mind, to be ready to every good work!' So help me God! (Free labor for him.)
9. "In submissive respect and obedience to our elders! We will be subject to the powers of the world to come! Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account!' So help me God! (Submit and obey HIM because everyone submitted to him.)
10. "In personal sexual sanctification! Because the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord! 'For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication!' So help me God!" (Except for the inner circle.)
"By the assembly as a unit entering
into these covenants with the Lord and with one another, and the assembly as
a unit keeping them ' we have already witnessed the Spirit of God moving in
our assembly in a much greater way, and we can feel a much greater
cohesiveness within the assembly. This, then, is only the beginning, a basis
of truth on which we all can stand - together. Then reaching out to increase
in even more obedience.' Also, in all of our assemblies, both at home and abroad,
the ministers and saints of God have been entering into this covenant."